Return to Pregnancy and Giving Birth Home Page

Natural Childbirth in Hospital

by Charlotte Grafton

outside the hospital

outside the hospital

outside the hospital My little cherub now..4 months

I started getting contractions on the Wednesday 6th July. They were quite regular but I was still able to function properly and they were still 7-8 mins apart. They carried on for most the day until it got to midnight when we decided to head to the hospital.

They checked me out and I was only 1 cm dilated at the most and the midwife said, "You could go into labour tommorow or it could be another 2 days (It's a waiting game)."

On the Thursday I was still having contractions but I was that used to it I didn't hardly notice them. I went to the midwife that afternoon and she checked me over and she just said the same: "It could be 2 days it could be another 5!!!"

That evening they started to come stronger and were now every 5-6 mins. I still carried on trying to be normal with some definite screams and winces every so often. Until about 10pm when it started to reduce me to tears, but still I tried to sleep still thinking, "No she isn't coming...just keep going."

All night I was half asleep walking around just praying this was all leading to something!

My mum rang about 6.30 next morning. I explained that actually the contractions could be dying down a bit more. I felt so frustrated as if all that pain I had experienced all through the night was for nothing.

Until an hour later at 7.35am Friday 8th my husband had been to get me a magazine to take to hospital in case she came, when I was lying with my dog on the bed and my waters broke. I ran to the bathroom and got my husband to ring the hospital.

They said, "Stay at home, have a bath get some breakfast and take your time." However my contractions were now coming 3 mins apart, but still I carried on making my porridge until I thought, "No" I felt different and they were 2 mins now. So a quick dash to the hospital(whilst still eating my porridge in between contractions)and when I arrived I was checked over and I was 8cm dilated! "Wow!" I thought.

I went into the birthing suite. They offered me gas and air but I hated it so stopped after 2 mins. I went in the pool but hated that too. It just made me feel very sick and hot but after about 30 mins my husband noticed I was starting to bleed when I contracted so I needed to start pushing. So got I got out and went over to start squatting on the floor and pushing. Then 29 mins later my little Holly-May was passed through my legs into my arms and was born 7lbs 10oz.

The most amazing feeling in the entire world! I relive it in my memory everyday.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to

Birth Stories



Return to Top

Back to Pregnancy and Giving Birth Home Page



| Home | Birth Videos | Birth Options | Privacy Policy | About | Site Search |

Disclaimer:  All information is provided for informational purposes only, although every effort is made to provide accurate and current information.
The site content is not intended to be or to substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Always seek the advice of a suitably qualified health care professional regarding your individual medical needs.
Pregnancy and Giving is not responsible nor liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis, services or products obtained via this website.

Return to Top
Copyright © 2010-2016, Pregnancy and Giving Birth
All Rights Reserved.